Competitive Checkmate

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013
Checkmate (version 1.0) - Mind over matter. 2-6 players.

Checkmate

View attachment 10661

Checkmate is a 2-6 player map great for Slayer and Oddball matches. This will work well with 4 player FFA games or team games where 2v2 is ideal but the map is playable with 3v3 games. The map consists of seven floors focused around a central atrium that connects the entire map. This verticality is balanced by the maps layout, the pathways work in such a way that you will never directly...

Read more about this map...

Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
Schweet, its nice to see there are forgers still designing for small team competitive.

Forging a map around heavy verticality has always been a tough cookie because it will either make or break its design; there's rarely ever an in-between. I'll try to run a game on this soon, mang.

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013
Thanks, the idea is that you should, after a while, be getting games unlike any you have had before. I could not possibly show you what the map really does with your head through images.
This is a map you may want to look around before you play, it has quite a learning curve to it. When testing people initially had difficulty understanding what was going on but as everyone learned the movement options available to them, it made for some of the most fast-paced and tactical slayer I have ever seen. I recommend playing the map with no radar as this is definitely a map about flanking and tricking other players. We played with radar for FFA Oddball but no radar Slayer was fantastic.

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013
It has come to my attention that there are several cases of frame rate drops on the map. While the frame rate drops have not been map breaking, I will be looking at ways to reduce the problem in the future.

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013
Sgt x Slaphead updated Checkmate with a new update entry:

Rebuilt

- Frame rate issues have been resolved through more efficient piece usage.
- Windows added to help with player orientation.
- Color added to assist with player orientation and call-outs.
- New pickups.
- Shotgun removed.
- Concussion Rifle is now placed in the tunnel. Needler placed at top drop down. Boltshot placed between top blue teleporter and the lift room. Pulse Grenades placed at bottom middle area.
- Jetpack and Hologram added.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Reactions: AlexJ189

xfallen1egend

Novice
Jul 15, 2014
Canada
www.youtube.com
This map is my Idea of a multi level Map with the Elevator effect , with the Elevator effect I mean by having tunnels random with a straight to the top look off from the bottom , absolutely beautiful map!

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013
This map is my Idea of a multi level Map with the Elevator effect , with the Elevator effect I mean by having tunnels random with a straight to the top look off from the bottom , absolutely beautiful map!
Thank you. I had the concept for a while but had no idea how to build it. This seems to be working in terms of layout. Right now I am just messing around with colors/call-outs and weapons. Hopefully I am near the final version.

Reactions: xfallen1egend
Good update Slapzzz. I know you and many others (including me) are not very fond of rainbow coloured maps. However Checkmate was a labyrinth, and even after an hour of non-stop playing on it I still didn't know the map's layout. I'm not saying the added colours are good, but making a version with them might help to se how beneficial they are and if they are worth it considering rainbow maps usually don't look very good.

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013
Good update Slapzzz. I know you and many others (including me) are not very fond of rainbow coloured maps. However Checkmate was a labyrinth, and even after an hour of non-stop playing on it I still didn't know the map's layout. I'm not saying the added colours are good, but making a version with them might help to se how beneficial they are and if they are worth it considering rainbow maps usually don't look very good.
Purple may be back. It just looks better. I know I made the map but is it really that confusing? The map is not big and what happened to learning a map? I think an extraction cylinder system can address the call-out/orientation issue. A consistent purple color theme looks much better than this orange/cyan look. The windows really help here too. I think I can go back to the all purple look without the same issues the first version had. That aside, the frame rate issues are fixed so that is certainly one good thing.

Purple may be back. It just looks better. I know I made the map but is it really that confusing? The map is not big and what happened to learning a map? I think an extraction cylinder system can address the call-out/orientation issue. A consistent purple color theme looks much better than this orange/cyan look. The windows really help here too. I think I can go back to the all purple look without the same issues the first version had. That aside, the frame rate issues are fixed so that is certainly one good thing.
You have a good point however I was only talking about my first impressions of the update. I am currently AFC (away from controller) and won't be able to play the map in the next two weeks or so. My point is that it's good that you're trying to fix the problems of the map being hard to figure out. Your methods of doing this are your choice.

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013
Reactions: ChewyNutCluster