Cat and Mouse

Customgamers, rejoice! For behold, the classic gametype Cat & Mouse has returned!!!

For those of you who may not have been around back in ye olden classic custom days,
Cat & Mouse is a very simple gametype, played on Valhalla in Halo 3.
(Not to be confused with Tremor & Mouse, or Tremor Blast :p)

In this gametype, 2 Zombies are the "Cats." They pilot Wraiths.
The humans are the "Mice" and they drive mongooses and try to survive.

In this Halo 4 version of the gametype, the Wraith is allowed to use its main gun.
However, there is an honor rule - the mice are NOT allowed to board and attack the Wraith.The objective of the game is survival. If someone breaks this rule, they should be booted from the party.

We all owe our thanks to VICIOUS VICE for recreating this classic gametype for us all to enjoy.
VICIOUS VICE has unfortunately vanished from the face of the Earth, however.
So it fell upon me to host this map and gametype on my fileshare so that you all may enjoy it.

VICE, if you're out there, we need you back baby!! :heart: :heart:

cat1_zps4d4970db.jpg

cat2_zpsfb2831fc.jpg

To download and enjoy this classic, visit my fileshare:

File Browser > Fileshare search by gamertag > TEETMARE

To be frank, and it's no offense to you or anyone else, but I really don't care for the game play of Cat n Mouse on Halo 4 so far. Shooting really ruins the "skill" aspect of the game, though I see why it is needed and agreed it should be allowed. A nice big open map with no shooting would be more preferable. Maybe something similar to Darth Human's version in Reach.

Maybe i should get off my lazy arse and do it myself! lol

PS - Yes Vice! Come back!

Reactions: Titmar
i wonder what happened to him, maps like serpent rally are lost. i cant find it anywhere. did anyone download it before he deleted it from his fileshare? id like to host the map on mine ;)

some one needs to remake the halo forge epidemmic version of this. It was made so you couldn't shoot or raid the other vehicle.

Yeah that was Dath Human's map I thought. Kill area's if on foot and a teleporting system that broke the gun off the wraith. Actually someone already tried to make it, and it usually worked, but still had some major issues. AJ might have saved it.

The Wraith has always been allowed to fire its gun in Cat N Mouse. That's nothing new.
Not so. Original Cat n Mouse was in Halo 2 and was Wraith's and Warthogs, no shooting, splatter only on Coagulation. Most Halo 3 incarnations used Choppers as the splatter physics were not the same for Wraiths.

When it is a splatter game, it promotes more skilled driving by both the attacker and defender. But to each their own.

Reactions: Tomtris
Yeah I can't imagine this map without shooting. I had a great time playing this earlier today. We almost had two people make it! (Separate rounds)

Halo 3 Cat N Mouse, when Cat N Mouse really was its most prominent, was always Mongoose and Wraith, and the Wraith was always allowed to fire. We aren't talking Tremors, or any variant of Tremors (which was the only type of game where the shooting was not allowed).

Reactions: Wakko45
Halo 3 Cat N Mouse, when Cat N Mouse really was its most prominent, was always Mongoose and Wraith, and the Wraith was always allowed to fire. We aren't talking Tremors, or any variant of Tremors (which was the only type of game where the shooting was not allowed).

I would assert it was more prominent in Halo 2 and almost ignored in Halo 3, though many Halo 3 maps were bigger and favored shooting more. Speaking of which, some of the Halo 4 BTB maps might expand this game better than Vahalla.

We played a version like that in the party last night Boarders, where the Wraith turret was broken off as the Wraiths were launched into the arena.. I didn't save it but I'll check temporary history. It should still be there.

Reactions: CO BOARDERS
I agree with some of the opinions you guys have shared on the map, but I felt that this map and gametype are still a great time to be had.

I hope that some people in our community are now inspired to improve upon it.

I've never been into remaking classic honor rules gametypes, because now forge can allow these gametypes to evolve beyond the honor system. I also much preferred in Halo 3 to play chopper vs. mongoose, with chopper driver not being allowed to shoot. It provided more of a fast chase.

Reactions: Cuffs
i totally agree that darth's version was the best. It was so well made and took such a long time to perdect. i wish i could see somthing like that again on halo 4. None of these stupid honor rules....

i totally agree that darth's version was the best. It was so well made and took such a long time to perdect. i wish i could see somthing like that again on halo 4. None of these stupid honor rules....

everyone has different opinions about honor rules and their place in Halo.
personally, i love them. Custom games were born from them. In infection, you used to have to be trusted to change to the other team when you got killed.

i'm sorry that some people prefer Darth's version of C&M over this one, but i always loved the Halo 3 one made by TDF and Yavi.

i am excited to see what other types of Cat and Mouse games people can come up with in Halo 4 to improve on the concept!
I just thought this map was great because it reminded me so much of my classic experiences with it in Halo 3.

Reactions: Madd yoke
I always thought Cat n Mouse was supposed to be without shooting, but I guess it could work too.

This thread made me nostalgia so hard.....

I always thought Cat n Mouse was supposed to be without shooting, but I guess it could work too.

This thread made me nostalgia so hard.....
Yeah I remember making a cat n mouse map on sandbox. The lazers were disabled and so you could drive around the whole map. The two wraiths were allowed to shoot and it worked great. Anybody who played it in my lobbys loved it. But darths made a great version of it in Halo Reach with a mechanism used to destroy the wraith's turret, which got rid of the use of honour rules. I think honour rules are great when everybody follows them but most of the time people just decide to break them after awhile.