News Cartographer's Gift

front-page-halo-news.png
Shouldn't it be Cartographers' Gift? There were five of us, after all!

Those who tuned in to Thursday's Video Game Awards will already be aware of some of what to expect from Halo 5's December update. The trailer gave us a glimpse of what's comingt in this upcoming pile of juicy Halo content.

Today's Halo Community Update serves up a hot plate of details on what to expect from what's shaping up to be quite a large addition to Halo 5: Guardians. Below, you can find an overview of what new treats you'll have access to once the update drops on "the week of the 15th".

noctus-banner-cdfcbb1e48514b0989531005501300c8.jpg

Battle of Noctus, Warzone map
  • Forge
  • Three new Arena maps
    • Overgrowth (a remix of Plaza)
    • Antifreeze (a BTB map inspired by Meltdown and Sidewinder, created in forge by WARHOLIC & 343 Industries)
    • Entombed (a BTB map inspired by Burial Mounds, created in forge by ducain23 & 343 Industries)
  • One new Warzone map: Battle of Noctus
    • Set in a city on Andesia (Plaza and Empire are also set here)
    • Sports two garages, placing additional emphasis on vehicle play
    • Features a non-linear hub-and-spoke layout centered around a unique monument base
  • New REQ items
    • SPNKR Rocket Launcher
    • Mark IV (Gen 1) Armor Set
    • Raijin Armor Set
    • More which are yet to be revealed
  • Matchmaking experience
    • Social playlists with limited join in progress windows including BTB and other arena modes
    • New ranking season and season-specific reward item
    • CSR and placement adjustments
    • Warzone Assault exploit fix
    • Free for All player count reduced to six
  • User Interface Improvements
    • Friends' status visible in-roster
    • REQ rarity, description, and energy cost displayed in your collection
    • Spectater Mode improvements and bug fixes
    • Additional controller settings
overgrowth-screen-03-6ca4a58f57564788b4773af6779bc482.jpg

Overgrowth, arena map concept
It's safe to say that this will be a pretty meaty update. Forge alone will be huge, but there will be plenty of new content in matchmaking as well as various improvements to UI functionality. No word yet on whether the update will include any additional gametypes or custom game options. December will be a good month for Halo.

On Friday, December 11, 343 will host a livestream showing off some of this update's content in more detail.

So, excluding the obvious choice of "FORGE!!1!1!!", what part of the Cartographer's Gift update are you most excited about?

Last edited:
Obviously I am excited for Forge, but I am really looking forward to that Mark IV [GEN 1] (Finally, a less alien looking armour), and the new Warzone map. Now I can have 1 more map to play on, and then quickly get tired of playing on. :y:

Very disappointed that the file browser will launch in the same state the MCC file browser was at. Seriously, gamertag searching should be elementary to them by now, let alone having a web-based file browser.
There is one key difference, though. The MCC roster only displayed friends who were online whereas this one lists all friends. So, downloading a map will be as easy as having someone on your friends list. It's not ideal, and I hope we get a web-based file browser in the future, but I think this will do nicely for now.

I'm excited to see how the layout of Overgrowth differs from Plaza. Plaza as it is has some interesting elements to it, but I feel both visual and physical clutter bring the map down, as well as some less than desirable sightlines and movement options. Hopefully Overgrowth can change some of the geometry and fix some of the trouble spots.

Also, big urban environments are always a good thing in Halo, so Noctus should be pretty cool :)

• Matchmaking experience
    • Social playlists with limited join in progress windows including BTB and other arena modes
    • New ranking season and season-specific reward item
    • CSR and placement adjustments
    • Warzone Assault exploit fix
    • Free for All player count reduced to six
shocked_moriarty.gif

I'm actually just as excited for these as I am for Forge.