Event Best of Forge '14

What Custom Title would you like to be offered to the winners?

• Noob Forger

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • BK Forger Extraordinaire

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • BoF '14 Winner

Votes: 14 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
front-page-bof.png

As we near the end of the 1th month of 2015, the time has come to look back upon what we as a community managed to achieve in 2014, prior to the release of the Master Chief Collection.

After a lengthy discussion between REMkings, Psychoduck and Flying Shoe ILR, a joint decision has been reached amongst the HC staff to revive "Best of Forge".

Many of you may be sat back in your chairs like a resident Scooby Doo taking a big gulp and a resounding "Ruh-Roh" due to the utter shambles that was "Best of Forge 2013". Fear not however as this event is being hosted entirely in-house, so there will be no lack of communication with partners this time around. Further more there will be no judges this year either.

You read that right ladies? and gentlemen, the winners of Best of Forge '14 will be decided entirely by the HC community spread over a one month period of nostalgic discussion and rose tinted spectacles. Back when we used to complain about only being able to play with 14 players in a custom game without spontaneous combustion.

In the spirit of this celebratory event of the previous year of Halo shenanigans, only content from Halo 4 can be nominated that was published in the HaloCustoms Map section between 11/16/13 and 12/31/14.

The categories to be covered in Best of Forge '14 are;

And so begins the nomination phase, between now and 02/08/15 12AM EST all members have the opportunity to nominate up to 3 maps per category, with the 7 most nominated maps in each category going through to the voting stage. Please bear in mind that you cannot nominate your own content and anyone found to have done so will have their nominations omitted.

After this nomination period expires the voting phase shall commence allowing you to vote for the winners of each category over a further 2 week period. During this stage voting for your own content will be permitted if it has been nominated.

Each category will have a winner and two runner-ups. Both winners and runner-ups will earn an exclusive HC trophy worth 15 points and winners will also earn a custom title which can be voted for in this very thread.

To get started check out the Best of Forge '14 sub forum. Please refer to the FAQ thread for detailed guidelines. Happy nomming! :nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom:

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the titles? Except for Bof Winner they are childish and pretty negative. My support on HaloCustoms is practically not there, so I don't have any hopes on even getting a voting spot, but if I won this I would refuse to accept one of the titles. They are not even funny.
Why not something... normal and positive?

Last edited:
What about the titles? Except for Bof Winner they are childish and pretty negative. My support on HaloCustoms is practically not there, so I don't have any hopes on even getting a voting spot, but if I won this I would refuse to accept one of the titles. They are not even funny.
Why not something... normal?

But they are funny, you truly deserve the title of 'BK Forger Extraordinaire' now.
huehue

Unfortunately, Classic Prey was published before the November 16th cut-off, even though the modded version came out sometime later in 2014. It won't get the chance to shine ;( :p

Well I better get a Percy map thread up

Unfortunately maps created in 2014 but submitted to the HC Map section after 12/31/14 are not eligible for potential nominations.

Feel free to add it regardless though as it's always good to expand on the amount of custom content available to all HC members to play on both H4 and TMCC. :)

Unfortunately maps created in 2014 but submitted to the HC Map section after 12/31/14 are not eligible for potential nominations.

Feel free to add it regardless though as it's always good to expand on the amount of custom content available to all HC members to play on both H4 and TMCC. :)
Would a map preview count though? I've posted several that include information and both pictures and links.
I honestly think it's the best map I made last year so i think it'd be a shame if it couldn't be nominated due to it not being included in the HC Map section. Because as a matter of fact, last year both Point Lookout and Allen's Lane made it to the initial top 5,whilst both maps were not posted in the map section. I don't really see how a map preview or video can't be sufficient, so do you reckon that that could work?
All in all Percy took me and
Elliot a helluva lot more work than other maps I made but it ultimately definitely payed off.

Would a map preview count though? I've posted several that include information and both pictures and links.
I honestly think it's the best map I made last year so i think it'd be a shame if it couldn't be nominated due to it not being included in the HC Map section. Because as a matter of fact, last year both Point Lookout and Allen's Lane made it to the initial top 5,whilst both maps were not posted in the map section. I don't really see how a map preview or video can't be sufficient, so do you reckon that that could work?
All in all Percy took me and
Elliot a helluva lot more work than other maps I made but it ultimately definitely payed off.
I was disappointed to see that Percy wasn't in the map database, I actually intended to nominate it. Unfortunately, it's too late to make exceptions on this sort of thing now. The rules state that maps must be posted in the map database, and nominations have gone on for a week under that assumption. Changing those guidelines now would be unfair.

Just a reminder, we are now halfway through the nomination stage for this event. You have one week left to nominate maps. So far, a total of 49 maps by 37 talented forgers have been nominated. I would like to draw everyone's attention to the Best Overall category, though, as it needs some more love. Right now, there are only three nominations in that category which won't make for a very exciting voting round. Please weigh in with your nominations for that category, even if your pcks are maps which you've already nominated for other categories. If not enough maps are nominated for that category, the voting pool will be reduced and the winner pool may be reduced to a single map rather than the top three.

Happy nomming! :nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom:

Nominations are now over. A total of 133 nominations were made for 62 total maps. Due to ties in number of nominations, the size of the voting pool will fluctuate slightly across categories. We will be back in a few days with voting threads, stay tuned!

This 'Best of Forge' I think will be more inaccurate than Mr Pokephiles decision!
Someone that has got a negative opinion about something the staff made and actually shout it out in front of them and other people? I can't believe it. lol

Someone that has got a negative opinion about something the staff made and actually shout it out in front of them and other people? I can't believe it. lol
I am being honest, Due to the lack of maps nominated by a large range of people, the outcome will not be very accurate. This 'Best of Forge' should have occurred during Halo 4 before MCC was released.

I am being honest, Due to the lack of maps nominated by a large range of people, the outcome will not be very accurate. This 'Best of Forge' should have occurred during Halo 4 before MCC was released.
That's not even the problem. I think it was a good idea, but it came out of nowhere and wasn't advertised *at all*. Unsurprisingly few votes and a not representative contest were the ramifications. They have always been telling about the lack of activity on this site and the whole Halo community - 'These were the reasons why there are no frontpage posts/contests' - and then they bring out such a contest with no pre-advertising, a contest, whose main rater should be the crowd. I mean, it is so important for such a contest that a good amount of people participate. Or not?

This whole thing is paradoxical.

Last edited:
First of all. prefacing a critique with childish sarcasm is a great way to make the people you are criticizing not want to listen to you. That aside, I'll humor you both.

For one thing, the concept of accuracy hardly applies to Best of Forge as it is, in essence, a contest of popularity. The question is not how accurate the nominations and votes are, it is how representative of the HC community's opinions they are. Luckily, everyone in this community has equal nomination and voting power. The only way it won't be representative is if people choose not to nominate and vote. Allow me to point out the irony here, as Orzium has nominated a whopping two maps and Buddy has nominated zero. You each had the same opportunity for your voice to be heard as every other member on this site, yet you both opted not to use that opportunity. If the results are not representative of your opinions it is entirely your fault. Oh, and there were not significantly fewer nominations for this event than for the last one.

On a related note, this contest is not meant to represent the opinions of the wider Halo community as a whole, it is meant to represent those of the HC community (see: above paragraph). This event was held in-house and limited to maps held within the HC map database. Therefore, advertising the event outside of HaloCustoms on a large scale would have been rather silly. Why was this event held in-house? It was a logistics issue, really. Allowing nominations of maps not even posted on HC in the first BoF event we held turned out to be quite a mess. It also led to several of the winners not being HC regulars, and some not even being members on this site at all.

Why was this contest not held before MCC's release? There are a few reasons. Firstly, time gives perspective. We can look back on all of the Halo 4 maps posted on HC within the last year without worrying about recency clouding our judgement. Additionally, ensuring that maps needed to be posted before nominations commenced was essential. You may recall that many of the winners of the prior BoF event were posted after the contest was announced. When winning a contest is the primary motivation for posting a map, there is clearly a problem.

Paradoxical? No. This contest is running significantly more smoothly than the previous BoF. Results are, in fact, more representative of the opinions of HC members than before as there are no outside judges, no bias but your own. Again, claiming that an event where you have equal voting power to everyone else isn't representative of your opinions is asinine. You had the same opportunity as everyone else, you just chose not to act on it. This event is built off of lessons learned from the previous BoF. It may not be perfect, but it is much better organized and running much more smoothly than its predecessor. Next time, act on your ability to nominate maps rather than waiting until nominations are over to bitch about your voice not being heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.