Event Best of Forge '14

What Custom Title would you like to be offered to the winners?

• Noob Forger

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • BK Forger Extraordinaire

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • BoF '14 Winner

Votes: 14 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
front-page-bof.png

As we near the end of the 1th month of 2015, the time has come to look back upon what we as a community managed to achieve in 2014, prior to the release of the Master Chief Collection.

After a lengthy discussion between REMkings, Psychoduck and Flying Shoe ILR, a joint decision has been reached amongst the HC staff to revive "Best of Forge".

Many of you may be sat back in your chairs like a resident Scooby Doo taking a big gulp and a resounding "Ruh-Roh" due to the utter shambles that was "Best of Forge 2013". Fear not however as this event is being hosted entirely in-house, so there will be no lack of communication with partners this time around. Further more there will be no judges this year either.

You read that right ladies? and gentlemen, the winners of Best of Forge '14 will be decided entirely by the HC community spread over a one month period of nostalgic discussion and rose tinted spectacles. Back when we used to complain about only being able to play with 14 players in a custom game without spontaneous combustion.

In the spirit of this celebratory event of the previous year of Halo shenanigans, only content from Halo 4 can be nominated that was published in the HaloCustoms Map section between 11/16/13 and 12/31/14.

The categories to be covered in Best of Forge '14 are;

And so begins the nomination phase, between now and 02/08/15 12AM EST all members have the opportunity to nominate up to 3 maps per category, with the 7 most nominated maps in each category going through to the voting stage. Please bear in mind that you cannot nominate your own content and anyone found to have done so will have their nominations omitted.

After this nomination period expires the voting phase shall commence allowing you to vote for the winners of each category over a further 2 week period. During this stage voting for your own content will be permitted if it has been nominated.

Each category will have a winner and two runner-ups. Both winners and runner-ups will earn an exclusive HC trophy worth 15 points and winners will also earn a custom title which can be voted for in this very thread.

To get started check out the Best of Forge '14 sub forum. Please refer to the FAQ thread for detailed guidelines. Happy nomming! :nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just think that great maps in Halo 4 never had the chance to be recognized in this fashion, and apparently never will be on this site in a contest manner. It's too bad in that perspective. Yes, this contest will be accurate to the fans of HC and to the quality of the maps nominated, but the array of maps created before the deadline may not see the light. And I don't understand how maps that aren't listed on the site would cause problems if nominated. But what do I know? I'm just a minigame forger. ;)

I just think that great maps in Halo 4 never had the chance to be recognized in this fashion, and apparently never will be on this site in a contest manner. It's too bad in that perspective. Yes, this contest will be accurate to the fans of HC and to the quality of the maps nominated, but the array of maps created before the deadline may not see the light. And I don't understand how maps that aren't listed on the site would cause problems if nominated. But what do I know? I'm just a minigame forger. ;)
You do realize that maps created before the deadline were eligible for the last Best of Forge, correct?

I suppose I don't quite understand your concern here. As Shoe said, maps posted before the starting deadline for this contest were eligible for the previous BoF event. There were also the two Meet Your Maker contests and the Clue contest in Halo 4 which showcased a variety of maps on this site. We experimented with other types of spotlights as well, including integrating THFE features into the front page. I absolutely agree that we could do a better job with spotlighting forge content on the site in the future, BoF is just one way of doing that. We hope to bring other forms of content spotlights to the site in the future as well.

Regarding your query about why maps not posted on the site are not eligible for BoF this time around, it is a two-part issue. Firstly, it is logistical in nature. Sorting through maps which are not housed in threads on this site, which we cannot easily contact the authors, which we cannot easily find screenshots for, etc. can be a mess. Also, we wanted this event to be limited to maps posted on the site in order to keep it about HaloCustoms. Yes, there are other great maps out there not posted on this site, but if a map author isn't even a member here I don't see why they should be eligible to win our contest.

Hopefully that adressed your concerns. If not, feel free to be more specific so we may adress them further.

You should have just used the old nominations for the original 'BoF' and let people add new maps if they chose too. I'm just saying it will be inaccurate as there was limited maps nominated. As for me not nominating maps, was because of a dis-interest in the 2015 'BoF' as i knew it would be inaccurate. The halo 4 days are over and everyone has moved onto mcc, it should have been held when these maps were still fresh in the mind of forgers and custom game players.

Last edited:
You should have just used the old nominations for the original 'BoF' and let people add new maps if they chose too. I'm just saying it will be inaccurate as there was limited maps nominated. As for me not nominating maps, was because of a dis-interest in the 2015 'BoF' as i knew it would be accurate. The halo 4 days are over and everyone has moved onto mcc, it should have been held when these maps were still fresh in the mind of forgers and custom game players.

First off, *to.

Secondly, this is the Best of Forge 2015. the point of the event is to recognize and vote on maps from the previous year, so it would not make sense to let in maps from before then. If we had a cumulative Best of Forge each year there would be so many maps that we would never be able to sort through them all. Third, not nominating any maps because "you knew it would be accurate" doesn't make any sense and does not imply any actual logical reasoning for not nominating anything. Finally, the point of waiting to do BoF was to give all of the maps equal chance. Had we done the event right away, the maps from the past few weeks would be fresh in everyone's minds and would so have an advantage.

First off, *to.
Wow.

this is the Best of Forge 2015
I thought this was BoF '14?

"you knew it would be accurate"
Since we're being picky, he said "i knew it would be inaccurate."

Had we done the event right away, the maps from the past few weeks would be fresh in everyone's minds and would so have an advantage.
Your views seem to counter PsychoDuck's, who said that recency was rather important:
Why was this contest not held before MCC's release? There are a few reasons. Firstly, time gives perspective. We can look back on all of the Halo 4 maps posted on HC within the last year without worrying about recency clouding our judgement. Additionally, ensuring that maps needed to be posted before nominations commenced was essential. You may recall that many of the winners of the prior BoF event were posted after the contest was announced. When winning a contest is the primary motivation for posting a map, there is clearly a problem.

Why not just let him have his opinion? This has turned into a contest of who can use bigger words and correct each other's mistakes. (As demonstrated above) Even though I could nitpick at both of you all day, it wouldn't change your stance on this subject, and vice versa, so why bother? (My nitpicks above are just proving this, so please don't say it's ironic that I did so :) )

Last edited:
Ich finde es sehr amüsant, wie du jede einzelne Diskussion, die wir Zwei hier auf HaloCustoms geführt haben, im nicht-digitalem Leben von Angesicht zu Angesicht verlieren würdest. Keiner würde dich so lange ausreden lassen und es wäre eine viel ausgeglichenere Diskussion. Doch hier im Internet hindert dich keiner daran, einen ellenlangen Text zu schreiben ohne für die einzelnen Bereiche geradezustehen. Das ist der Grund, warum man Diskussionsbeiträge eher kurz hält, damit das Gegenüber sofort auf ein Argument eingehen kann, ohne dabei zehn Seiten Text lesen zu müssen. Das ist der Unterschied zwischen uns Zwei, ja nicht nur zwischen uns Zwei, sondern auch zwischen dir und sehr vielen anderen Leuten: Du argumentierst wie ein Roboter, der sowohl versucht seine Gesprächstpartner mit der schieren Anzahl von Lapalien zu erdrücken, als auch einen Schwachpunkt aus den Argumenten seines Gegenübers rauszupicken und diesen dann auf Alles zu münzen. Ich hingegen diskutiere, wie wenn ich jemandem gegenüber stünde, kurz und bündig. Natürlich weiß ich, dass somit nicht alles gesagt ist, jedoch kann der Gesprächspartner schneller darauf reagieren und falls er etwas nicht verstanden hat oder ein falsches Bild von meiner Meinung bekommen hat, kann ich ganz einfach etwas hinzufügen, um mich zu erklären.
Doch ich verstehe nicht ganz, woher dein 'Besserwissergemüt' herrührt. Zwischen den Zeilen lese Ich bei jedem rießigen Block, den du bis Dato von dir gegeben hast, Arroganz und eine gewisse Herrschaftlichkeit - mit einem Hang zur sarkastischen Nuance, womit du gewissermaßen versuchst, deine Gegenspieler auf ein niedrigeres Niveau hinabzustufen, damit deine verherrlichten Worte umso besser klingen. Die Tatsache, dass du Derartiges offensichtlich sehr gerne betreibst, zeigt nur, dass du etwas beweisen willst, das du im echten Leben nicht beweisen kannst. Vielleicht durch ein tragisches Erlebnis in der Kindheit oder nimmt dieses offenbare Problem sogar Gestalt in der Gegenwart in deinem Alltag. Ich weiß es nicht und will es ganz ehrlich auch nicht wissen, aber was ich weiß, ist, dass du mir Leid tust. Sich selbst aufzugeilen an digital gewonnenen Diskussionen ist einfach nur noch lächerlich. Ich wundere mich nur warum andere in diesem Forum nicht genauso verflixte Sätze und Argumente bilden, denn ich sehe es als kein Zauberkunststück an, so zu reden in meiner primären Sprache. Vielleicht, weil es unnormal ist, und unsozial?

Also, jetzt zurück zu der Veranstaltung. Ich wollte meine Stimmen nicht verteilen, weil ich von vorne herein eine negative Einstellung zu dieser hatte wegen Gründen, die ich im Folgenden aufzeigen will. Erstens kam dieser Wettkampf wie aus dem Nichts. Es wurde keine Werbung betrieben. Du meinst, ich meine mit Werbung Youtube Videos und Vergleichbares? Nein. Eine ganz einfache "Nachricht" mit einem Vorschauvideo, das etwas Interessantes ankündigt, wo jeder auf HaloCustoms mitmachen kann, hätte schon dazu beigetragen, dass mehr Mitglieder teilgenommen hätten. Somit ist dein Argument, warum die Veranstaltung nicht angekündigt worden sei, zunichte - Freilich auch der vorherige Absatz, wo du verdeutlichst, dass nur Mitglieder mitmachen sollten. Ich hätte meine Stimmen vergeben, wenn ich gesehen hätte, dass es etwas ausgemacht hätte und Sinn gemacht hätte, doch solch ein schlecht organisiertes Event kann ich bei Leibe nicht unterstützen. Es war entweder einfach nur Faulheit oder ihr wolltet wirklich nur ungefähr zehn Mitglieder von Zehntausend mitdabeihaben.
Der Grund, warum ich etwas belustigt auf Orzium's Nachricht eingegangen bin, sollte dir bekannt sein, wenn ich dich und deine Intelligenz nicht völlig falsch einstufe. Doch du benutzt das, um dann selbst sarkastisch auf meine Nachricht zu reagieren, obwohl du einen Satz vorher noch versicherst hast, dass wenn man sarkastisch auf eine Nachricht eingeht, die Leute, die sich angesprochen fühlen, dich nicht ernst nehmen können. So widersprüchlich!
Jetzt noch zum letzten Absatz: Habe ich je in diesem Thread mich darüber beschwert, dass meine Stimme nicht gegolten hat? Warum sollte ich das tuen? Ich habe doch nicht einmal eine Stimme abgegeben, wie du Genius festgestellt hast? Das ist nur eine weitere Finte, anderen Leuten etwas in den Munden zu legen und den Lesern, die sich nicht penibel mit der gesamten Antwort auseinandersetzen, nicht auffällt beim einmaligen Durchlesen.

Und wenn du es geschafft hast, alles in den Übersetzer zu kopieren und dich bis zu dieser Zeile durchgekämpft hast, und du dann mit irgendeiner besserwisserischen, dir gut erscheinenden Antwort daherkommst, die ganz sicher mich, meine Bildung und mein Niveau runterzuschrauben versucht, dann bestätigt das nur meine Vermutungen von deinem Charakter. Wenn du nun einen Dolmetscher kontaktieren würdest, könntest du die Tragweite meiner Worte verstehen, doch mit dem simplen Übersetzer bekommst du nur Schlagwörter rausgeworfen, die du natürlich wieder gegen mich verwenden könntest. Der Umstand, dass ich dies Alles in deutscher Sprache verfasst habe, enttarnt mich ganz offensichtlich und mit empirischer Genauigkeit als kindisch und sarkastisch - deiner Meinung nach. Doch ich würde an deiner Stelle erst mal bei dir selber anfangen, bevor du dich über andere und deren Eloquenz in der sekundären Sprache lustig machst - Wie gesagt: Immer zwischen den Zeilen gelesen - und damit ein Vorurteil von ihnen über ihre Bildung und Charakteristika schaffst, das absolut falsch ist.

I thought this was BoF '14?
It is, Shoe misspoke.
Since we're being picky, he said "i knew it would be inaccurate."
His post initially read "accurate" rather than "inaccurate". It was edited. The point is moot, though, as the concept of accuracy has no application to this event. It is only a matter of how well everyone is represented which is in the hands of individuals. This was all explained earlier.
Your views seem to counter PsychoDuck's, who said that recency was rather important
No, I clearly stated that we intentionally avoided the recency issue. Recency clouds judgement, time gives perspective.

Ich finde es sehr amüsant, wie du jede einzelne Diskussion, die wir Zwei hier auf HaloCustoms geführt haben, im nicht-digitalem Leben von Angesicht zu Angesicht verlieren würdest. Keiner würde dich so lange ausreden lassen und es wäre eine viel ausgeglichenere Diskussion. Doch hier im Internet hindert dich keiner daran, einen ellenlangen Text zu schreiben ohne für die einzelnen Bereiche geradezustehen. Das ist der Grund, warum man Diskussionsbeiträge eher kurz hält, damit das Gegenüber sofort auf ein Argument eingehen kann, ohne dabei zehn Seiten Text lesen zu müssen. Das ist der Unterschied zwischen uns Zwei, ja nicht nur zwischen uns Zwei, sondern auch zwischen dir und sehr vielen anderen Leuten: Du argumentierst wie ein Roboter, der sowohl versucht seine Gesprächstpartner mit der schieren Anzahl von Lapalien zu erdrücken, als auch einen Schwachpunkt aus den Argumenten seines Gegenübers rauszupicken und diesen dann auf Alles zu münzen. Ich hingegen diskutiere, wie wenn ich jemandem gegenüber stünde, kurz und bündig. Natürlich weiß ich, dass somit nicht alles gesagt ist, jedoch kann der Gesprächspartner schneller darauf reagieren und falls er etwas nicht verstanden hat oder ein falsches Bild von meiner Meinung bekommen hat, kann ich ganz einfach etwas hinzufügen, um mich zu erklären.
Doch ich verstehe nicht ganz, woher dein 'Besserwissergemüt' herrührt. Zwischen den Zeilen lese Ich bei jedem rießigen Block, den du bis Dato von dir gegeben hast, Arroganz und eine gewisse Herrschaftlichkeit - mit einem Hang zur sarkastischen Nuance, womit du gewissermaßen versuchst, deine Gegenspieler auf ein niedrigeres Niveau hinabzustufen, damit deine verherrlichten Worte umso besser klingen. Die Tatsache, dass du Derartiges offensichtlich sehr gerne betreibst, zeigt nur, dass du etwas beweisen willst, das du im echten Leben nicht beweisen kannst. Vielleicht durch ein tragisches Erlebnis in der Kindheit oder nimmt dieses offenbare Problem sogar Gestalt in der Gegenwart in deinem Alltag. Ich weiß es nicht und will es ganz ehrlich auch nicht wissen, aber was ich weiß, ist, dass du mir Leid tust. Sich selbst aufzugeilen an digital gewonnenen Diskussionen ist einfach nur noch lächerlich. Ich wundere mich nur warum andere in diesem Forum nicht genauso verflixte Sätze und Argumente bilden, denn ich sehe es als kein Zauberkunststück an, so zu reden in meiner primären Sprache. Vielleicht, weil es unnormal ist, und unsozial?
I don't think I need to point out the irony in you spending two paragraphs complaining about my post being too long. Your attempt to get inside my head and blame the intellect which you wrongly perceive as arrogance or insecurity on childhood social experiences did give me a laugh. You think I am here to prove something about myself, to put others down, and that I am motivated by arrogance. You are mistaken on all accounts. I find your claim about my own arrogance to be incredibly ironic, as you have proven on multiple occasions to be one of the most arrogant and egotistical members on this site. I refer to your inaccurate overestimation of your forging prowess based on your download counts in Halo 4 and your inflated view of your Helm's Deep map in particular, but there are plenty of other examples which could be drawn upon as well. I am here to explain merely what the reasoning was behind choices we made about this event. If that means picking apart your argument to elaborate on why your views are mistaken, then so be it. That does not mean I am motivated by picking apart what you have to say.
Also, jetzt zurück zu der Veranstaltung. Ich wollte meine Stimmen nicht verteilen, weil ich von vorne herein eine negative Einstellung zu dieser hatte wegen Gründen, die ich im Folgenden aufzeigen will. Erstens kam dieser Wettkampf wie aus dem Nichts. Es wurde keine Werbung betrieben. Du meinst, ich meine mit Werbung Youtube Videos und Vergleichbares? Nein. Eine ganz einfache "Nachricht" mit einem Vorschauvideo, das etwas Interessantes ankündigt, wo jeder auf HaloCustoms mitmachen kann, hätte schon dazu beigetragen, dass mehr Mitglieder teilgenommen hätten. Somit ist dein Argument, warum die Veranstaltung nicht angekündigt worden sei, zunichte - Freilich auch der vorherige Absatz, wo du verdeutlichst, dass nur Mitglieder mitmachen sollten. Ich hätte meine Stimmen vergeben, wenn ich gesehen hätte, dass es etwas ausgemacht hätte und Sinn gemacht hätte, doch solch ein schlecht organisiertes Event kann ich bei Leibe nicht unterstützen. Es war entweder einfach nur Faulheit oder ihr wolltet wirklich nur ungefähr zehn Mitglieder von Zehntausend mitdabeihaben.
Der Grund, warum ich etwas belustigt auf Orzium's Nachricht eingegangen bin, sollte dir bekannt sein, wenn ich dich und deine Intelligenz nicht völlig falsch einstufe. Doch du benutzt das, um dann selbst sarkastisch auf meine Nachricht zu reagieren, obwohl du einen Satz vorher noch versicherst hast, dass wenn man sarkastisch auf eine Nachricht eingeht, die Leute, die sich angesprochen fühlen, dich nicht ernst nehmen können. So widersprüchlich!
Jetzt noch zum letzten Absatz: Habe ich je in diesem Thread mich darüber beschwert, dass meine Stimme nicht gegolten hat? Warum sollte ich das tuen? Ich habe doch nicht einmal eine Stimme abgegeben, wie du Genius festgestellt hast? Das ist nur eine weitere Finte, anderen Leuten etwas in den Munden zu legen und den Lesern, die sich nicht penibel mit der gesamten Antwort auseinandersetzen, nicht auffällt beim einmaligen Durchlesen.
Your attempts to poke holes in my logic are again as hypocritical as they are pathetic. Our reasons for keeping this contest in-house are sound ones and have already been discussed above. You failed to address them in this post. Sure, a video announcement couldn't have hurt, but as I said this contest has not been subject to significantly fewer nominations than its predecessor. There was no sarcasm in my post in question, so you are again mistaken on that front.
Und wenn du es geschafft hast, alles in den Übersetzer zu kopieren und dich bis zu dieser Zeile durchgekämpft hast, und du dann mit irgendeiner besserwisserischen, dir gut erscheinenden Antwort daherkommst, die ganz sicher mich, meine Bildung und mein Niveau runterzuschrauben versucht, dann bestätigt das nur meine Vermutungen von deinem Charakter. Wenn du nun einen Dolmetscher kontaktieren würdest, könntest du die Tragweite meiner Worte verstehen, doch mit dem simplen Übersetzer bekommst du nur Schlagwörter rausgeworfen, die du natürlich wieder gegen mich verwenden könntest. Der Umstand, dass ich dies Alles in deutscher Sprache verfasst habe, enttarnt mich ganz offensichtlich und mit empirischer Genauigkeit als kindisch und sarkastisch - deiner Meinung nach. Doch ich würde an deiner Stelle erst mal bei dir selber anfangen, bevor du dich über andere und deren Eloquenz in der sekundären Sprache lustig machst - Wie gesagt: Immer zwischen den Zeilen gelesen - und damit ein Vorurteil von ihnen über ihre Bildung und Charakteristika schaffst, das absolut falsch ist.
I have never questioned your ability to write in English. I am genuinely impressed when people carry on a conversation in a language other than their first as that is a skill which I do not currently possess. However, hypocrisy and immaturity transcend language barriers and it is these qualities of you which I take issue with. This entire post, you made a poor attempt to do exactly what you are accusing me of. You made a couple of weak counterarguments which ignored or misunderstood explanations which have already been given in this thread and spent the rest of the post miserably attempting to pick apart my argument and my motives.

For the record, announcing this event with a video would have been a good idea. We dropped this event on you guys without any warning and that wasn't the best way to handle it. We'll be more conscious of that in the future. With that said, the way you went about making that suggestion was atrocious.

I will leave you with this. First of all, as I clearly explained before, the results of this contest were within your power to influence. It was you who failed to execute on the opportunity for your voice to be heard, not a failure of this contest. Secondly, you constantly complain about HaloCustoms not being as good as it could be. You are the one holding it back. This site is far from perfect, but when I have to spend so much of my time dealing with your arrogance and negativity, that time cannot be spent on something more worthwhile.

This discussion is over. If you have any recommendations on ways to improve this sort of event in the future, please leave them in the BoF FAQ and Feedback thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.