Map Preview Behind the Sun

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Previously: "Unfair and Round"

Behind the Sun is my attempt at a 1v1 map. It took me a while to understand what everyone meant when they told me that warthogs don't work on 1v1 maps, but I think I finally understand. This map is a complete redesign of my previous attempt; the aptly named "A Bad Map" which was originally meant to be submitted to the FH 1v1 contest. Once we worked out that I would be covering the winners of said contest on THFE, it was clear that I would not be eligible to place in the contest. So, I put the project on the backburner until some new inspiration, combined with some newfound understanding of 1v1 design theory gained from working on the contest struck me last week.

The concept behind this map is as follows: a large central atrium with platforms wrapping around it at various vertical levels. To gain different lines of sight, you must move both laterally and vertically. Hard routes are limited, but a bottom-to-top teleporter and a slue of goofy jumps provide several additional movement options. The nature of the sightlines combined with the placement of various pickups should provide lots of movement incentive, though I'm too early in testing to call it a success just yet.

I'd like to thank WARHOLIC, The Fated Fire, and Sgt x Slaphead each for giving me a bit of help with various aspects of the design. I'd also like to thank Flying Shoe ILR, Auburn, and SOLIDSNAKEee for helping with testing so far. Lastly, I'd like to thank Behemoth in addition to Slap and Aub, as I learned a lot from spending so much time on their 1v1 maps in the last few weeks.

Here is a clip demonstrating some of the vertical movement options in the center of the map. These jumps are very effective at getting you to the top platform (without exposing yyou to the line of sight of players on that platform), but of course they can be fairly risky as well.

http://xboxclips.com/The Psycho Duck/01bbb735-a6f7-40a5-94fa-33f95d8b0dc8

And here are some screenshots. I tried to have various bits of the map repeat across multiple shots to show where these shots are taken relative to one another in order to give you a better picture of the layout.
behind-the-sun Screen Shot 2015-03-31 01-30-31.png
behind-the-sun Screen Shot 2015-03-31 01-30-46.png
behind-the-sun Screen Shot 2015-03-31 01-31-03.png
behind-the-sun Screen Shot 2015-03-31 01-31-31.png
behind-the-sun Screen Shot 2015-03-31 01-31-45.png
behind-the-sun Screen Shot 2015-03-31 01-32-00.png
behind-the-sun Screen Shot 2015-03-31 01-32-23.png
behind-the-sun Screen Shot 2015-03-31 01-32-54.png
The map is on my file share (The Psycho Duck, Halo CE, Pillar of Autumn, Easy, Scoring). Feel free to download and give it a whirl. Be sure to play with 110% movement speed! Any constructive feedback is welcome, be mindful that the map is in early testing stages.

Last edited:

♥ Sky

The Cutest Pumpkin in the Patch
Staff member
Dec 31, 2012
Walls are a bit too blue imo. Nobody's ever going to notice those colours unless they're specifically looking up.

moo43

Proficient
Nov 17, 2014
Florida
This map looks really cool. I'm liking the jump ups that you showed in the video in the center of the map. Overall it just looks like a really cool map.

Reactions: Psychoduck

Behemoth

Master
Jan 11, 2013
Scotia, CA
So purty. So freshhhh. I'm lovin' it, Duck, and I must play very soon. I'm stoked to see you forging hogless maps. :b
Looks to be a huge improvement man, good job. :y:

Reactions: Psychoduck

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
-Orzium-, this is a huge improvement for sure. The original design was disgustingly top-heavy with awkward geometry and terrible sightlines. I think I've succesfully solved all of those issues with this new design.

Zandril, I think I'll hide a 'hog outside the window. ;)

Thanks for the praise guys, I'd love to play the map with any of you. I've been testing this map with a fairly wide range of players so far and learning a lot and making appropriate adjustments. The incentive to move creatively on this map has been cool to see, and I've been augmenting that by adding some additional jumping options and such. Spawning needs work still, but I'm pretty happy with how it's shaping up so far!

moo43

Proficient
Nov 17, 2014
Florida
I just downloaded this off your fileshare and was just walking around. All I can say is I really like how vertical it is. It just seems like a very unique design. I would really like to play it sometime.