Core Atonement

N3gat1veZer0

Proficient
Jan 18, 2016
Atonement (version 2016-02-04) - A remake of Halo CE's Damnation that's a bit nicer to look at.

When remaking Damnation, I didn't want plane ol' purple blocks everywhere even though that's pretty much how the original was. I borrowed some styling from Halo Reach's Penance while keeping the original pathways the same. The map looks incredible. The map's padded weapons are a sniper and a SPNKr Rocket. The shotgun, invis, and overshield still spawn in the locations you may remember them being in. The water falls possed a bit of a problem. Alpine's natural waterfall is too enclosed to use...

Read more about this map...

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
I don't normally think much of remakes. Halo 5 is such a different game from previous titles, even with Legacy settings, that they tend not to translate well unless loosely interpreted or heavily modified to fit the new game. I find it disappointing to see so much time and talent used to recreate maps rather than to create new designs which better suit this game. Nostalgia often clouds judgement of these maps as well.

With that said, this actually looks fantastic. Believable Covenant geometry is incredibly difficult to pull off in H5. Most attempts end up lookig too human; composed of recognizable shapes with hard edges and partial cylinders. However, you have managed to create geometry which truly hearkens back to Penance. I also commend your creativity with the plasma goo waterfalls. This might well be the first map remake I actually bother to download in Halo 5. Good work. :y:

N3gat1veZer0

Proficient
Jan 18, 2016
I don't normally think much of remakes. Halo 5 is such a different game from previous titles, even with Legacy settings, that they tend not to translate well unless loosely interpreted or heavily modified to fit the new game. I find it disappointing to see so much time and talent used to recreate maps rather than to create new designs which better suit this game. Nostalgia often clouds judgement of these maps as well.

With that said, this actually looks fantastic. Believable Covenant geometry is incredibly difficult to pull off in H5. Most attempts end up lookig too human; composed of recognizable shapes with hard edges and partial cylinders. However, you have managed to create geometry which truly hearkens back to Penance. I also commend your creativity with the plasma goo waterfalls. This might well be the first map remake I actually bother to download in Halo 5. Good work. :y:
Wow, thank you so much. If I'm honest I actually didn't know that that's what the legacy settings were. The map is actually intended to play with both Halo 5 gametypes and Legacy. But again thank you so much that means so much!

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Wow, thank you so much. If I'm honest I actually didn't know that that's what the legacy settings were. The map is actually intended to play with both Halo 5 gametypes and Legacy. But again thank you so much that means so much!
I suppose we should better explain the Legacy prefix somewhere. It is intended to describe maps designed specifically to be played with more classic settings; with Spartan abilities and such stripped away. Damnation is such a unique vertical map that I could see it potentially working well in H5.

I loaded the map up in forge and was met with a huge eye sore. Lighting was broken and there was z-fighting everywhere! Thankfully, the map looks incredible in custom games. Again, I am really impressed by the way you've handled Covenant architecture here. Kudos.

Reactions: N3gat1veZer0

N3gat1veZer0

Proficient
Jan 18, 2016
I suppose we should better explain the Legacy prefix somewhere. It is intended to describe maps designed specifically to be played with more classic settings; with Spartan abilities and such stripped away. Damnation is such a unique vertical map that I could see it potentially working well in H5.

I loaded the map up in forge and was met with a huge eye sore. Lighting was broken and there was z-fighting everywhere! Thankfully, the map looks incredible in custom games. Again, I am really impressed by the way you've handled Covenant architecture here. Kudos.
Yes lol. Unfortunately the map looks pathetic in forge. I'll update the description so the people know that, but again it means so much for someone like yo to like this map. It's really encouraging.