Gaming Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

625547_10151357264198068_1017656369_n.jpg

The Assassin's Creed franchise is taking the extremely well-done sea-faring segments of AC3 and fleshing them out into it's own full game. We don't know for sure, yet, but based on this map (the reverse side of a pre-order poster)-

Assassins-Creed-4-Black-Flag-Caribbean-Map-570x366.jpg

we can infer that the game will span over the Caribbean and be open-world between several islands. We'll have both sea and land adventures, and possibly even explore sunken ships on the ocean floor. In that short sequence where we see Kenway swimming towards the wreckage underwater, you can even see a shark in the background! And in this screenshot, a whale!

xlarge.jpg
xlarge.jpg
xlarge.jpg
xlarge.jpg
xlarge.jpg
xlarge.jpg
Releases on October 29th on PC, 360, PS3, WiiU, PS4, and "Next-gen consoles," (the next, unannounced XBOX).​

Reactions: SOLIDSNAKEee

Robius5991

Online Knight
Feb 20, 2013
Canada
At first I was worried about the potential ramifications of putting one's stock mainly into a partial segment, just introduced into the previous game... However, after watching the videos I am convinced they will do a great job! I was also concerned about the rapid release time, however, having heard that its already 1.5 years into development, once again my fears were calmed. Overall this looks pretty epic and I can't wait to see what they do!

Robius5991

Online Knight
Feb 20, 2013
Canada
Releasing annual games has been the norm for AC now. This will be their 5th game in as many years.

I agree that it's not ideal, but I'd like to think that this won't be too bad since they've been dividing their group into multiple sectors for Game constructions. During the time period between AC2 and AC3 (3 years I believe) - One team finished Brotherhood + Revelations, since their job was wrapping up Ezio's story, while another team made AC3 during that entire period. I find that the series' best changes came from both AC1->AC2 and AC: Revelations->AC3. Therefore, since they have been working on AC4 for a year and a half so far, plus the rest of this year, at the very least it will have had 2 years of construction. I can't vouch that it'll be great, but I can at least find some faith in the fact that Ubisoft has done some impressive things with these projects in past, and I think that they are capable of more in the future.

BarryM96

Novice
Mar 3, 2013
Scotland
I never really cared for AC III but this looks superb, the sea-faring part of it reminds me of parts of the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

PacMonster1

Proficient
Mar 6, 2013
philly
I kinda feel like this game is a cop-out, made from the left over resources that didn't make it into ACIII. I mean we've been to Jerusalem, various cities in Renaissance Italy, then colonial towns during the American Revolution, going back 1 generation to the same areas seems a little disappointing.

Having said that, Pirates is a theme that has been barely touched in gaming and ACIII's sailing portions were incredibly fun, albeit short, so I have good faith in Ubisoft with Black Flag.

PacMonster1

Proficient
Mar 6, 2013
philly
Colonial times, while being a time period, refers to colonial America. This is not colonial America. This might as well be a different continent altogether (it is a different continent altogether).

The similarities you are trying to draw are stretches, at the very least.

...I think you're missing the bigger picture of my message. The jumps in time and location from AC1 to AC2 and then to AC3 (not counting brotherhood) were substantial. AC3 to AC4 is minuscule in comparison, and "Colonial Times" includes Colonial occupation of the Caribbean, the whole Pirates of the Caribbean time period was 1600-1700's. Again, I'm sure Ubisoft will handle the period well and there are so few pirate games that even a half decent one should do very well.

Dividing MDH

Adept
Feb 2, 2013
Australia
I'm really starting to hate annual releases. The AC games are great, but they have waned away from assassin in Assassin's Creed, and it's basically the same game every year, cas in point: AC: Revelations. I like the ship mechanic though :) and I'm glad that they're using it as a core game mechanic.

Reactions: evergreen948

Dividing MDH

Adept
Feb 2, 2013
Australia
Actually, after the events of AC revelations, Ezio is confronted by the Chinese assassins who seek his advice on how to take down the Chinese tyrannical leader. I reckon it would have been really good to follow that story, this was all in the book.