Map Preview A Picnic, Under Attack!

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Yo dawg, I heard you like map previews so I made a map preview so you can preview maps while your maps get previewed. Seriously, though, I thought it was high time I hopped on the map preview bandwagon, it looks like all the cool kids are doing it. Since MCC came out, I've been working on a remake of Panic Attack. This map is designed from the ground up around competitive arena gameplay, but uses vehicles as an additional competitive element. So, I guess you could call it "arena BTB" or something like that. I've always seen warthogs as skill vehicles given that they require coordination between two players to be used effectively and that they require support from other players on foot, but that they can also provide support and turn the tide of the battle when used skillfully. That is the idea I've been designing maps around for a few years, and Panic Attack was the culmination of those years of experience.

Given the maps competitive arena roots, bringing it to Halo 2 Anniversary was a logical choice. Unfortunately, there were several obstacles to contend with. First is performance. I forged the map on all three canvases in H2A in an attempt to avoid framerate issues, finally settling on Awash. By replacing most of my colliseum walls with block 10x10s thanks to A Haunted Army's recommendation, I was able to avoid serious performance issues. I will be working to improve the visual theme of the map with a focus on player orientation while avoiding frame drops moving forward.

Another obstacle is some of the mechanics in H2A regarding vehicles. In H2A, rockets and plasma grenades instantly kill warthogs in a single shot. Obviously, skill vehicles should not be getting instantly removed from play unless there is a serious amount of risk and skill involved in doing so. Given the rockets' tracking ability and the relative ease of sticking a warthog from close to mid range, I would not be able to achieve the vehicle balance I want with these weapons. Unfortunately, there aren't many soft vehicle counters to choose from in H2A either, with the plasma pistol not having an EMP function and sniper rifles not dealing much damage to vehicles. So, I got creative. This build sports two no-clip brute shots (a single clip from a brute shot is not enough to kill a warthog outright) and a no-clip fuel rod gun. The FRG requires three direct hits to kill a 'hog, has a slower projectile velocity than rockets and no tracking. These weapons not being able to instantly remove vehicles from play forces more interaction between infantry and vehicles which is always a major design goal for me. I also added EMP fusion coils under the outpost drop downs. These are attached to switches placed at the base of the large jumps, creating risk in activating them. Timing the switches properly to disable a moving warthog is also difficult. Lastly, I added fixed machine gun turrets to the windows in the bases. These are powerful and further encourage organized pushes against the bases, but their fixed nature means that they cannot become a mobile power weapon.

Other than that, the geometry is almost identical. I made a few small alterations to preserve jumps that were previously only possible with sprint. I added new platforms and cover at the bottom roads in order to aid pushes on the bases from there. I preserved the previous theme of having red side a more natural theme and giving blue a more industrial construction-y theme. Again, I'll add to that performance allowing. Anyways, looks like China wants their wall back.

panic-attack-1.jpg

An overview of blue courtyard and stuff

panic-attack-2.jpg

Red's brute shot and new platform

panic-attack-3.jpg

A look at red side, note the red tint on the outpost window

panic-attack-4.jpg

Red courtyard

panic-attack-5.jpg

Top mid, with fuel rod gun

panic-attack-6.jpg

Bottom mid, sporting each plasma rifle type and room for neutral objectives

panic-attack-7.jpg

Red's switch and EMP

panic-attack-8.jpg

Red garage, and hoggy

panic-attack-9.jpg

Red's flag and turret

panic-attack-10.jpg

Red plaza and jump

So yeah, that's about it. i also have a preview video from an earlier build where I talk a bit more about the process I used to build the map.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

zombievillan

Novice
Aug 24, 2014
Yikes! That's alot of yella, lol.

Looks pretty cool, hopefully by Christmas the kinks on mcc are fixed & I can get on this with you guys. I plan to hit the forge & customs scene full force once I get the xbone. Just like the old days. Anyway, panic attack was awesome so I'd like to see how it translates into h2a. FRG seems decent & the brute shot is one of my top favorite weapons of all time. It'll be interesting seeing the emp switch come into play. Is there a pretty large radius on that? Depending on that I'm not sure if I'd ever even try to use it if they have to be directly on top but like I said, it'll be interesting & it's not like you don't know what you're doing.

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Sexy map. Too bad all the late issues with H2A have forced you to think outside of the box, though it does make for a nice refreshed take on the Halo 4 version.

zombievillan

Novice
Aug 24, 2014
It makes me so angry te hear that there are even more restrictions on FR issues on a next gen console, like come on guys get your act together.

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
It makes me so angry te hear that there are even more restrictions on FR issues on a next gen console, like come on guys get your act together.

So true. I mean, you shouldn't give us so much more stuff to work with if you can't even fix issues that occurred on the 360.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
It'll be interesting seeing the emp switch come into play. Is there a pretty large radius on that? Depending on that I'm not sure if I'd ever even try to use it if they have to be directly on top but like I said, it'll be interesting & it's not like you don't know what you're doing.
The radius on the EMP coils is relatively small, timing them right will be challenging. That said, they are placed in one of the highest-trafficked areas for vehicles on either side of the map. There will be a skill gap involved in using them, though.

Thanks for the comments, guys. Once I have some time to see how customs are functioning after this latest patch, I'll hopefully get to start testing this.

Stevo

The Grinchmind
Dec 31, 2012
United Kingdom
I think the Yellow is a little too bright in this one, Duck. I proper loved playing my first game of Ricochet on the original of this map before, and that was subtle alongside the extra-bland greys...

Is there any room for you to break up the blocks and stuff by using Bridge XLs or other platforms / wall / incline pieces just to change up the textures a little? Then the Yellow wouldn't be so OP for the eyes. It kinda looks like I need to go get my sunglasses from the car.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
I think the Yellow is a little too bright in this one, Duck. I proper loved playing my first game of Ricochet on the original of this map before, and that was subtle alongside the extra-bland greys...
Panic Attack is yellow, that's just how it is. Alterations can be made to the color scheme to enhance readability of the map and general player orientation, but that's it.
Is there any room for you to break up the blocks and stuff by using Bridge XLs or other platforms / wall / incline pieces just to change up the textures a little? Then the Yellow wouldn't be so OP for the eyes. It kinda looks like I need to go get my sunglasses from the car.
57043613.jpg

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
Duck, you could change the team color of the objects instead of just the object color. The colors in that menu are a lot more muted and darker, so it might look better than the bright yellow.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Well, I actually was able to get a 5v5 game on here today! That's right, the game's just been out a month and a half and I've already gotten an entire game on my map!

It felt pretty much like Panic Attack. I'm going to be looking into making a few changes though. I want to continue to improve player orientation and improve callouts across the map. I also want to work with spawn weighting to create a better spawn system on the map. Lastly, I'll be looking into accounting for the lack of sprint in H2A in ways other than just maintaining the jumps. I might trim some fat off a few wider lines of sight and such.