Contest 1v1 Tournament - An Overview

OfficialCompetition.jpg

We're one week into the signup phase for the HaloCustoms 1v1 Tournament, and we're coming up to the beginning of the first round. Remember, the deadline for signing up is next Friday, so if you're itching to prove your worth and haven't yet signed up, you can do so now via this friendly looking form :laugh:

(Now Closed)

If you haven't currently checked it out, you kind find Dax's channel,TheHaloNetwork, cranking out videos related to this contest. He'll be working close and hard with HaloCustoms to give a steady stream of exciting, informative videos about the tournament, its maps, as well as fun stuff such as weekly Top Tens! In this video, he explains a little more about the upcoming Tournament , his channel's involvement in it, as well as some fun activities and bonuses that will be going on alongside the tournament. And while he explains, you can treat your eyes to a sneak preview of real tournament gameplay. All the while Dax scores snapshots here and there like it's no big deal! I sure don't want to go up against him once the tournament begins :eek:

An outline of the Future
In total, there will be at least 7 rounds, depending on the number of signups at the deadline. This is a double elimination Tournament , so you'll need to lose twice before you're out of the game. In the first round, everyone will be placed in the same bracket and will be matched up as closely to their timezones as possible. For Round 2, everyone who lost their first game will be placed in a separate, "Losers" bracket for the rest of the Tournament . In the end, the winner of the first bracket and the winner of the second bracket will go head to head to determine the 1v1 Champion!

Articles and Videos
Thanks to Dax and his channel (I'ma just slip that in... here. There ya go.) we're able to provide as much information and entertainment as possible to cover the tournament. There are three types of videos, as well as corresponding Media Stream articles, that will be cranked out every week.

Round Updates
Every Friday - At the beginning of every round, these updates will tell you everything you need to know about the next round. That includes map info, updates, and general news. As the rounds go on, you can link your proudest and funniest moments from the Tournament to the weekly Top Ten (see below).
Map Reveals
Every Sunday - The Sunday before each round, there will be a Map Reveal for the next round. These videos will reveal everything you need to know about the map used as the next arena. If you want to practice before your match on Friday, keep an eye out on Sundays for the download links!
Top Tens
Every Wednesday - After each Round, we'll compile all of the best moments from the tournament as submitted by you! If your clip makes it in the top ten, you'll score yourself a trophy. And if it gets to #1, you'll get an evenbigger trophy! On top of that, the #1 clip of the week will get a choice of Custom Titles based on their feat. So if you want a "Flaming Dragon Assassin" title, you're gonna have to find a way to do that in-game.

The Rounds
But before we get ahead of ourselves, let's walk through how the rounds will go about. Each "Round" will last 7 days, from Friday, to the end of the next Thursday. This gives everyone a full week to organize their matches, compete, and submit their victories and losses. On top of that, if you managed to have any glorious moments during your battle such as an epic assassination spree or 360 snapshot, you can place a link to the video in the Submission threads to submit it to the Top Ten.

Some dates to whet your appetite
Round 1: Friday 26, July - Thursday 1, August
Round 2: Friday 2 - Thursday 8
Round 3: Friday 9 - Thursday 15
Round 4: Friday 16 - Thursday 22
Round 5: Friday 23 - Thursday 29
Round 6: Friday 30 - Thursday 5, September
Round 7: Friday 6 - Thursday 12

How Does Double Elimination Work?
Like I said, the Tournament is Double Elimination. In short, that means you get a second chance once you lose your first match. However, the way this works is deceptively tricky. We'll walk you through it.

Let's say there are a total of 128 players in the tournament.

Round 1
64 winners progress.
Now there are 64 in both winners and losers.

Round 2
In the winner's bracket, 32 players win. The losers go down to the losers bracket.
In the loser's bracket, 32 players win. The losers are knocked out.
W: 32
L: 64
Round 2.5
Now here's the trick, now the losers of the winner's bracket play against the winners of the loser's bracket. Call it a "second and a half round" if you like. Loser is knocked out, winner progresses:
W: 32
L: 32

Round 3
Winner's bracket, 16 players win. Losers go down to the losers bracket.
In the loser's bracket, those that lose are knocked out.
W: 16
L: 32
Round 3.5
Again, the people who won their loser's bracket face off against the group of people who just lost in the winner's bracket:
W: 16
L: 16

And so on. Basically, if you're in the loser's bracket, you have to play both your loser's bracket matchup and vs someone who just got knocked out of the winner's bracket. So if you lose early, its very hard to stay in the competition; if you get knocked out in the semifinals, you have a very good shot of making it back into the finals.

8-Team-Double-Elimination.gif

Is that making better sense now? If not, don't worry, we'll explain it later when the time arrives.

Prizes
We love Gamermodz. I think they might have a thing for us too, because they have offered us another controller. We don't really have a need for it though, at least that's what Insane tells me, so one of you guys can have it. I just figure that making you shoot each other for it will be more fun than simply giving it away.

• A unique, Halo-themed controller, courtesy of Gamermodz. The website offers their concentration in custom-built gaming controllers, the one we're giving away optionally modded with their SPS-X2 rapidfire mod.​
Gamermodz's Halo-themed Xbox skin.​

Didn't you forget something?
Be sure to subscribe to Dax's channel, HaloNetworkOfficial, to receive updates on the Tournament before anyone else! Get the advantage over your opponents by keeping informed about the next battleground, before they do. Go on, show your support for a guy who's put in the effort to make these awesome videos. And hey, it's only a click away! :D

Ya'll enjoy yourselves, ya hear?! And don't be shy! Go ahead and sign-up for the Tournament if you haven't already! Boop.

-:teddy:

Is the preliminary ranking going to be randomly determined, based off of some statistical analysis, or something of the sort. I know you already said time zone would be involved.

All right! Now I just have to clear my calendar for the next two months...

Haha, don't worry, it's only 10 minutes of your time, once a week, for as long as you remain in the competition. The rounds don't last seven days - we're letting you choose the time in the seven day period that suits you best :)

Great place to put a tournement. At the start of the school year...better not interfere with bandcamp
By the last rounds, when school starts back up for some of you, there will only be about 8 people left in the competition anyway :p And I'm sure they'll find 10 minutes spare in their busy week :laugh:

"ah
Haha, don't worry, it's only 10 minutes of your time, once a week, for as long as you remain in the competition. The rounds don't last seven days - we're letting you choose the time in the seven day period that suits you best :)

By the last rounds, when school starts back up for some of you, there will only be about 8 people left in the competition anyway :p And I'm sure they'll find 10 minutes spare in their busy week :laugh:
"ah...I see", said the blind man

Looks like I am going to withdraw from this tournament, just realized I go on holiday on the 1st of august. :eek:

Oh shit, we'll actually have to prove this bs.

How about an honour system, and if there is a dispute, both parties need to submit substanial proof.

Yeah, us staff have been talking over what will be expected of everyone going forward. We'll put up all the relevant info on Friday, in the Round Update. But in the meantime, like Panda said,
if there is a dispute, both parties need to submit substanial proof.

We'll only use proof if it's needed. Otherwise, both competitors agreeing on the final score is good enough.

Reactions: PandaMan