FORGE ISLAND!

hc-coolstuff.jpg
CONFIRMED NEWS FROM PAX EAST TODAY OF A BRAND NEW, FREE FORGE MAP COMING APRIL 11th!!
FORGE ISLAND

Finally got to go walk around, and I have to say, 343i actually blew this one out of the water. I was frustrated at first by the lack of hills, but hot damn, does that seem like a minor complaint now. There are almost no kill zones on the map besides under the water and one that is so far away reaching is it actually difficult. The new trees are awesome, especially setting them to normal and making them look fallen over. The rocks, too, are perfect: big and flat for the most part plus a few very natural looking ones. You can even get inside the islands and build in a cave/ grotto like setting. My perspective on these has shifted a lot. 343i was paying attention. :)

Reactions: FragsturBait
Finally got to go walk around, and I have to say, 343i actually blew this one out of the water. I was frustrated at first by the lack of hills, but hot damn, does that seem like a minor complaint now. There are almost no kill zones on the map besides under the water and one that is so far away reaching is it actually difficult. The new trees are awesome, especially setting them to normal and making them look fallen over. The rocks, too, are perfect: big and flat for the most part plus a few very natural looking ones. You can even get inside the islands and build in a cave/ grotto like setting. My perspective on these has shifted a lot. 343i was paying attention. :)
Inside the islands?

Inside the islands?
place a 2 way teleport node through the ground and a linking one outside. Go through it and you get inside the island. No kill zones, cool atmosphere, looks mostly good besides a few weird textures. You can do it on all 3 islands for different sized spaces.

I like the pieces better being all grey, and man it finally feels like color patern isn't so extreme, it makes my soul brighten a little.

I like the fact that the contrast of colors on the surface of the blocks is less dramatic. The visual noise should be reduced significantly. But I do still miss the pristine shiny appearance found with Reach's palette.

I love them rocks and trees. Too bad they compete with each other for total count. Just wish there were like 4 times as many of them.