FORGE ISLAND!

hc-coolstuff.jpg
CONFIRMED NEWS FROM PAX EAST TODAY OF A BRAND NEW, FREE FORGE MAP COMING APRIL 11th!!
FORGE ISLAND

Reach's forge accomplished flatlands and beautiful aesthetics as well. 343 could've done the same. Then again Halo 4 is missing a ton of features that Reach had... might as well just add it to the list.

Reach's forge accomplished flatlands and beautiful aesthetics as well. 343 could've done the same. Then again Halo 4 is missing a ton of features that Reach had... might as well just add it to the list.
the framerate issues due to the outdated hardware of the xbox are always a limitation to 343 studios, do you really think they dont implement things just to make the fanbase mad? a map as huge as this one would cause extreme framerate issues when forged on. a second forgeworld would be impossible

Reactions: NinetysBorn
There must be some underlying reason why we can't ever get in water in H4. It seems like they really went to extremes in designing these islands to make the point they made differently with the acid lake of doom and the crags of ravine - fluids are not your friend. keep away.

While I'm extremely happy we have another Forge Environment, the total flatness worries me a bit. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying the map could have been designed with a little more versatility. If they give us a bunch of different rocks to build our own terrain I think it'd be fine, assuming of course they actually add a few NEW rocks.

While I'm extremely happy we have another Forge Environment, the total flatness worries me a bit. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying the map could have been designed with a little more versatility. If they give us a bunch of different rocks to build our own terrain I think it'd be fine, assuming of course they actually add a few NEW rocks.
well they adressed with that that people were complaining that we dont have any real flat surfaces
i think this is fine ;)

Why not have 1 flat and the others more varied? The logic this company employs... I just don't know some days.

Yeah, anything that can be made on the small or medium island, you could definitely also make on the large island, so it does seem to be sort of a waste.. but at least we have flat space now. The only reason to use the small or medium islands would be if you wanted to use the natural boundaries (dropoffs)

In my opinion, it would have been nice if they were more like actual islands, closer to the water with beaches around the edges, rather than being suspended so high in the air. Or at the very least, one or two of the islands could have been like this for some variety.

If the new pieces are useful and they maybe increase the object limits in a few of the categories, I won't have any complaints, really.

Sooo much comments :D
I'm very happy with this map because I like to make Banshee maps and with this you can basically do whatever you want :)
*edit* And the remake looks really cool!

well the community wanted a flat canvas that isnt limited by messy terrain (ravine) ;) what were they supposed to do? anything they do will lead to further complaints so they said: fuck it, they want a blank canvas and water? they shall get it, for free
Fuzzle, the problem people are having here is based on 2 things I would say:

1. The 3 islands are almost exactly the same, just flat cylinders. While 1 large flat cylinder made sense to give us the flat ground people asked for, the other two are really a waste of space. Why not have made these different to add variation to the map? There could have been 1 flat one, one hilly, and maybe one very strange, or just with different hills. The decision to make all of them flat isn't sensible from a forging perspective a the map loses a lot of potential because of it. Now if we want natural hills we can't use this map.

This brings up something rather ironic. The devs showing the map asked forgers to remake Blood Gulch, but on an entirely flat map, we will be required to make crappy looking rock and or metal hills, as BG worked solely because of the hills (well, and lack of a very long range spawning weapon.)

2. The three islands are also needlessly far from each other, to the point where not much more than a racetrack will connect them. If the islands had been in closer proximity, possibly even in a close triangle, we would have another cool ravine to work with and maps could easily use multiple islands. Now, all people can hope to do to connect them is make racetracks or horrible Montaska maps (if you didn't play Reach, that is a map trying to stretch between two points that are far to far away.)

While we're glad for the forge space, it seems obvious that this could have been much better with just a little extra logic injected into the process. 343i gave the community what they asked for, yes, but I don't think they necessarily thought about what was best for forgers, instead giving people what they thought they wanted. And while I don't want to complain about free content, I'm getting tired of feeling like I could do a better job if I was in charge of the situation. 343i, as the new makers of Halo, have a responsibility to keep up a certain level of quality in all aspects of the game. I can't help but be frustrated when they do things like this, where they announce something awesome and then it turns out that it isn't as good as we thought, just based on a lapse in simple logic.

Lots of stuff
What they should really do is get input from skilled forgers who've had experience forging in all 3 games. Those are the only people who can really tell the developers what has worked, what hasn't worked, and forge needs in order to best experience possible.

So, I decided to make my own interpretation of how Forge Islands could have been done better. I've already explained this elsewhere but I felt like showing that a rough concept version of it is not that hard to do (built this in like an hour or two after waking up.) Obviously it lacks the polish of a real dev map, but it gets my point across.

Forge Islands 2.0

Also, I feel like if something has been made that is sub par by a lot of people's standards, people should at least make this known. I don't want this to turn into the Halo 4 Discussion Thread on Forge Hub (which is a very, very sad place where no one should ever go) but I feel even free content should be scrutinized. I'm thankful for the map no matter what, but I am frustrated a team of well payed designers didn't pick up on things that the community was able to in a matter of minutes.